Lights. Camera.

I haven't yet succumbed to the the webcam trend in client or potential employer communication, as discussed on Operation Homefront's web community. To be honest, I prefer email, not to keep myself anonymous, but to keep me a little out of arms reach. I don't like to leave the impression that I am on call at all times. Sometimes I'm busy, sometimes I just need a deep breath. Webcams threaten to tear down that sanity protection for me, but they really shouldn't. I can turn it off when necessary. The benefits are certainly compelling. The face to face communication coukd save a lot of time and get projects moving more efficiently. What are your opinions on webcams in the home workplace?

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same as you on this subject. I think that webcams do cross a line, not negatively, but a line, nonetheless. I think that if your home office is equipped with video conference and you routinely conference that way, it can be beneficial, but a web cam is more personal to me. I would have to have a very strong bond with my employer or feel deeply connected to a position I was applying for, if I were to employ a webcam on the job or for a job search. I really can't put my finger on why it's so personal, but it just is.

    ReplyDelete